||To design and construct a container which
will hold an egg, and will prevent the egg from breaking when it
is dropped to the floor.
||To explore the physics of collisions.
||Teams of two.
|| Foam, Styrofoam, urethane or any similar
- The container to be prepared in advance will be a carton
that can be modified to some extent, but may not exceed the
dimensions 7 cm x 7 cm x 15 cm.
- Only masking tape will be allowed on the outside of the container
to reinforce the structure. A piece of magnetic material will
- One end of the package must contain a piece of magnetic material
to allow attachment of the package to the electromagnet - minimum
diameter of 2.5 cm.
- No parachutes or auxiliary attachments other than masking
tape will be allowed on the outside of the container.
- The egg must be placed inside the container and handed in
to the "Launch Master".
- A grade A medium egg shall be supplied to each entry. The
contestant will have ten minutes to insert the egg and prepare
- The package will be attached to the release mechanism by
means of the magnetic material (8m above the platform).
- A 1.3 m square landing platform will be provided. The package
must strike the platform. Impact on the platform will stop the
- If the package misses the platform, a second trial will be
allowed. In the event of a second miss, the participant will
- The package must be opened and the unbroken egg produced
within three minutes of the impact.
- The egg that remains unbroken is the winner. In the case of
a tie, the container that weighs the least will be the winner.
- Another criteria can be the length of time taken for the
package to fall.
||Youth Science Foundation Science Olympics