||To hit a target with a laser beam, after
deciding on certain calculations.
||To learn some optics.
||Teams of up to four.
||Laser, mirrors and/or a prism will be
supplied by the judges.
- Each team will be assigned a numbered target which will be
positioned by the judges.
- Each team will be allowed 3 minutes to make physical measurements
before calculating to determine the angles for deviating the
- Each team will be given the refractive index of optical materials
and allowed 10 minutes for calculations.
- After calculations each team will be allowed a maximum of
5 minutes to position the optical materials for directing the
- After the adjustments have been made the laser will be turned
on and its position on the target marked using the center of
||The target can be a series of concentric
circles with the largest point value falling in the center of the
target (resembling a bull's-eye).
||Youth Science Foundation Science Olympics