To construct ball and stick models of various organic molecules.
||To develop a sense of the three dimensional
nature of molecules.
||Teams of up to five people.
||Ball and stick models, provided by organizers.
- Students have some of the basic functional groups explained
to them. Alcohol=R-0-H, ether=R-0-R' and so on. The alkene and
alkyne series along with the basics of nomenclature are also
- Prior to the competition students are presented with prefixes
that specify the number of carbon atoms in an organic molecule.
methyl=1, ethyl=2 etc.
- The name of an organic molecule is written by the judge on
a board and the teams must assemble it within a 5 minute time
limit. The most accurate model is given the maximum amount of
points (10) and so on downward.
- The number of rounds in the event can be determined by organizers
- The team's scores from each round are added together to give
an aggregate score for the competition.
- The team with the most points at the end is the winner.
||Youth Science Foundation Science Olympics