||To design a device, which will hit a
golf ball a distance of three feet, whose only source of power is
a rubber band. The golf ball, while traveling on the course, must
put out a birthday candle, set off a mousetrap and end up in a paper
||To explore energy, kinematics and develop
||Teams of up to four.
||Standard PGA regulation golf ball, standard
- The student may not be closer than 12 cm to the device when
- No restrictions will be placed on the location of the candle,
mouse trap and paper cup.
- Each student will take his/her turn on a time.
- Should all tasks not be completed, a second turn will be
allowed. For example, if the candle was put out but the mousetrap
not set off, the candle must be re-lit.
- Sets off mousetrap 50 points.
- Puts out candle 50 points.
- Golf ball enters and remains in cup. 50 points.
- Creative ideas for the device (subjective judgment) 10-50
- Each start (after finish) - 15 points.
- Golf ball not traveling a minimum of 36" - 20 points
||Youth Science Foundation Science Olympics