|Ring a bell for exactly 4 seconds.
demonstrate scientific skills, creativity, teamwork, and have a funtastic time.
of three to six.|
by the Team. The Rube Goldberg Machine will be built and tested at school.
machine must occupy a maximum space of 2.00 m x 4.00 m, and points will
be awarded for making full use of the specified area. |
Two attempts will be
allowed to attain the objective. Both runs will be marked.
point for each event or action
- 5 points for succesfully achieving the
- 5 points for aesthetic appeal
- 5 points for creativity.
1 point for each different principle of physics employed
- -5 points
for each assistance beyond the first.If a part of the machine fails,
the team can restart it once without penalty.
Machines will be judged on their use of recycled materials.
10 Points will be deducted from the final team score if a visible footprint of their presence is still detectable 20 minutes after the end of the competetion. Clean up your mess!
If subsequent restarts are required,
one point is lost per restart.
Cog||One of the best examples of a Rube Goldberg machine is the Honda
Cog Commercial. Use your favourite search engine to find and view it.|
For help at the London District Science Olympics, contact:|
Mother Teresa CSS
1065 Sunningdale Rd E
London ON N5X 4B1
||2018 Open a physics book to page 114.
2017 Recycle a plastic water bottle by depositing it into a blue box (standard school paper size .36 m x .30 m x .20 m). The bottle must begin a 2.0 m away from the blue box (horizontally). There is no restriction on the vertical displacement of the bottle.
2016 Place a tennis ball into a tennis ball can. The tennis ball must bounce at least once before entering the can.
2015 Have a golf ball roll up a ramp into a hole
2014 Have a pendulum hit a gong.
2013 Put a stamp on an envelope.
2012 Raise a flag from the bottom to the top of a 1.0 m flagpole.
2011 Ring a bell for exactly five seconds.
2010 Open a physics book to page 42.
2009 Recycle a plastic water bottle by depositing it into a blue box (standard school paper size .36 m x .30 m x .20 m). The bottle must begin a 2.0 m away from the blue box (horizontally). There is no restriction on the vertical displacement of the bottle.
2008 Place a tennis ball into a tennis ball can. The tennis ball must bounce at least once before entering the can.
2007 Spin a 33 1/3 vinyl record on its normal rotation axis at least 5 times.
2006 Pop a balloon.
Call the Chief Judge on his Cell Phone.
2004 Spin a 33 1/3 vinyl record on its normal rotation axis at least 5 times.
2003 Roll the golf ball up a ramp into the hole.
2002 Have a pendulum hit a gong.
2000 Put a stamp on an envelope.
1999 Raise a flag from the bottom tothe top of a 1.0 m flagpole
1998 Have the marble roll from the table into the cup on the floor.
Have Prince Charming rescue Princess Prudence from the Tall Tower.
Switch on a radio.
Safety Considerations for Rube Goldberg.
- Machine Base – The machine's support or base is stable enough to:
- Safely support the machine.
- Prevent structure movement.
- All exposed electrical connections are guarded or insulated to prevent contact.
- Electrical power cords are free from hazards, such as abrasion, fraying and pinching.
- The maximum voltage used is 12V.
- Wet cell batteries such as car or boat batteries are not allowed.
- There are no exposed rotating shafts, belts, reciprocating parts or other mechanisms that could cause injury on contact.
- Protective guards are installed to protect operators and spectators from accidental contact with projecting or flying parts.
- Flying objects – balls, other objects – do not have enough momentum to escape the machine's confines and injure operators or spectators.
- Stationary items that project from the machine and that might cause accidental injury are shielded.
- There are no chemicals used that might injure operators or spectators.
- There are no open flames used, covered or uncovered.
- An uncontrolled release of any chemical is not possible.
- Liquids cannot accidentally contact electrical components of the machine.
District Science Olympics|