||To construct an aircraft and launcher,
using only the materials provided. To win, the aircraft must execute
the greatest horizontal displacement through the air from point
||To explore the physics of flight.
||Teams of up to four.
||50 popsicle sticks, 2 sheets of 21.6
x 28 cm paper (paper may be cut or torn), 3 paper clips (#1), 2
jumbo paper clips (#2), 2 elastic bands, - white glue.
- The aircraft must be capable of gliding.
- The aircraft much be launched by the release of a trigger
mechanism. Energy must thus be stored somehow in the launching
system prior to releasing the trigger.
- The launching system must be freestanding, reusable and capable
of being reloaded within two minutes.
- Failure to meet any of the design criteria will result in
- Displacement will be measured from the leading edge at the
point of touchdown.
- Two launches must be made. The greater displacement will be
recorded for judging purposes.
||Youth Science Foundation Science Olympics