||To design and construct a
device which will kick a nerf ball through a set of miniature goal
||Investigate collisions, energy,
||Teams of up to
||Mousetrap spring - Thin plywood
- Nails, Screws
- The device must be no longer than 15 cm at its widest point
and 30 cm in height.
- The goal posts will range from 10 cm to 30 cm in width.
- The miniature course will consist of 8 goal posts which contestants
must kick the ball through.
- Each contestant (team) must complete the course in 10 minutes.
- The device will be judged on its ingenuity of design and its
degree of accuracy during a short "kicking" competition.
- Passes through cleanly on 1st trial - 5 points.
- Passes through but touches post on 1st trial - 4 points.
- Passes through on 2nd trial - 2 points.
- After the second trial, no points will be given and the team
may proceed to the next goal post.
- For every minute over the 10 min. limit a team uses to complete
the course, a 2 point penalty will be deducted from the team's
- The team finishing the course with the most points will be
- Judging the design of the kicker will be based on a scale
from 0-10 and criteria will be left to the discretion of the
||Youth Science Foundation
Science Olympics Manual.