||To build the strongest possible bridge using plastic
||To investigate mechanical structures.
||Teams of up to four.
||A set number of plastic drinking straws (e.g. 50)
- straight pins - scissors or cutting blade.
- The bridge shall span a distance of at least 1 metre.
- No other materials than those provided may be used.
- Students have 40 minutes to build the bridge with no pre-assembly
- The bridge may not be fastened to any external object.
||The winning bridge is the one capable of supporting
the greatest mass. In the event of a tie, the bridge with the smallest
mass will be declared the winner.
||Youth Science Foundation Science Olympics Manual.