||To design a device utilizing a mousetrap which will
put out the flame of a candle.
||To encourage creativity and mechanical design skills
||Teams of up to four
Mousetrap, miscellaneous apparatus
- The only source of energy will be supplied by the mousetrap.
- The operator may not be within 1 metre of the mousetrap or
within 1 metre of the candle. The mousetrap can be 15 cm from
the base of the candle.
- The operator gets one chance to put out the flame without penalty.
If the candle flame is put out on the first try, 25 points are
awarded. Three points are deducted for each subsequent attempt.
- If the flame goes out of its own accord the operator will not
have met the problem requirements. The candle will be lit again
and the operator will attempt again.
- Twenty-five points are awarded if the flame is extinguished
on the first try.
- A 3 point penalty is given for each attempt after the first.
- Creativity of design will win points. A jury of 1/2 teacher
and 1/2 classmates will award 1 to 10 points for creative solutions.
||Youth Science Foundation Science Olympics Manual.