||To construct various devices that can provide or exert
different types of forces.
||To investigate different kinds of forces.
||Teams of up to four.
|| Elastic bands, 2 magnets, string weight (bob), brick,
spring scissors, wooden block comb, ruler bits of paper.
- Students may work in teams of up to 4 persons.
- Each team has all the materials and a given time limit to construct
various apparatus with which to demonstrate different kinds of
- Teams will be allowed 5 minutes to construct an apparatus and
name the force involved. At the end of the allotted time the judge
will assess the constructions to verify that it corresponds to
the force named. The team may then proceed to another construction.
- For every force named correctly, a team will be allotted 10
points. If 5 minutes passes and a team fails to complete the apparatus
it is working on, it must abandon the project and start a new
- Materials may be changed with respect to quantity and size
and may be reused.
- The contest is over after a predetermined length of time e.g.
||The team with the most points wins.
||Youth Science Foundation Science Olympics Manual.