||To construct a rocket that will carry an
egg to greatest possible altitude and land without breaking the egg.
||To investigate thrust, energy, projectile
motion, air resistance.
||Individuals or teams of two.
- Contestants will be provided with an egg, a commercially produced
solid propellant rocket engine (D12-3) and a rocket launch pad.
- The rocket must meet the following specifications: no metal
parts, engine no more than 6.99 cm long, 2.40 cm in diameter.
- The engine D12-3 has the following specifications:
- initial weight 42.2 g
- total impulse 20 newton seconds
- time delay to ejection charge, 3 seconds 15%
- maximum thrust 39 newtons
- maximum lifting ability 397 gm approx.
- thrust duration 1.5 seconds
Points will be awarded for:
- design of the rocket and payload section
- design of the recovery system
- maximum altitude reached
- proximity to impact area
- time to impact
- egg remains intact
||Students must be thoroughly brief in the
safe use of rockets
||Youth Science Foundation Science Olympics