||To assemble a solar oven that will maximize
the sun's energy by giving the greatest temperature increase on the
||To investigate soar energy, and the properties
of insulating materials.
||Teams of up to four.
||Left to the discretion of the participants
(i.e. no restrictions).
- Oven will be pre-assembled.
- There must be a hole in the oven for the insertion of a thermometer,
thus allowing measurement of the temperature increase over a previously
determined period of exposure to the source.
- The hole must be situated such that the tip of the thermometer
lies in the center of the oven.
- All ovens must be kept in a shaded area until a constant temperature
- Oven must be no higher than 60 cm and possess an area no larger
than 3000 cm . All materials are allowed except purchased solar
products (i.e. solar windows).
||The oven that captures the most heat energy
as indicated by the temperature increase over a set time period will
win the competition.
||Youth Science Foundation Science Olympics