||To construct a top which will continue
to spin for the longest possible time.
||Each team will consist of one
or two members. Only one student is permitted to start the top spinning.
||The top must be constructed from common
household or hardware items. Gyroscopes or commercial tops are not
1. One student will set the top into rotation by hand twirling,
by tossing, or by use of a pull. No other methods are permitted.
No motorized devices or electromagnetic devices are permitted. Once
the top Is Initially set into motion, no additional energy may be
added to It.
2. The top must spin about a point on which It will not balance
unsupported when it is not spinning.
3. A lathe cannot be used to machine the top.
4. All tops must spin on a vinyl/asbestos tile classroom floor.
5. No lubricant shall be applied to the floor or the top.
||1. When the top is set into rotation, the
time elapsed until it touches the surface with any part other than
its point will be measured.
2. Each team will be given two trials, the better of the two will
3. The top which spins for the longest time will be awarded first
||North East Ohio Science Olympics.