||To construct a tower out of balsa wood
||To investigate the physics of structures.
||Teams of up to four.
||Balsa wood, white glue.
- The structure must have the minimum dimensions of (a) height
- 30 cm (b) basal area - 100 cm
- The structure must weigh no more than 15 grams.
- The structure may be of balsa wood only.
- Any type of standard white glue may be used, nails, etc., are
left to the discretion of the builder.
- The tower must be pre-built before the competition.
- Before the test of the Tower of Balsa, each team must promote
their tower - give a sales pitch to the public (2 minutes time
limit strictly enforced).
- The weights loading and testing apparatus will be provided.
- The weights may be added in any order.
- The structure must support the weight for 10 seconds.
- Weights must be added at ten second intervals.
- The structure supporting the greatest weight will be given 80
points, and the rest of the teams will be awarded points on a
decreasing scale based on the weight they hold relative to the
winning team's weight.
- The promotional presentation will be worth 20 points, with the
judges' decision to be based on features such as oral skills,
knowledge of physical science, audience appeal, etc...
||Youth Science Foundation Science Olympics
| | | | |
| | |