The objectives of the First Year Physics Laboratory
- to provide direct experience of physics concepts and laws.
- to learn the use of standard laboratory instruments commonly used in physical measurements
- to learn systematic methods of data collection and data analysis.
- to build up experience in estimating and calculating uncertainties in measurements and in derived quantities.
- to learn clear and accurate reporting of results.
- to learn how to draw conclusions from results and make suggestions for improvement of the experiments .
Laboratory Course Outlines
The course outlines are avalible on the laboratory OWL page
Notes to Students
You will find this document in your lab package. Read this before the first lab as it contains sections with valuable information about your laboratory course.
Laboratory List, Marks and Absences
This information is available on the laboratory OWL page.
Pre-lab questions are attached to each lab manual. Completed pre-lab questions are due at the door at the very beginning of the lab. We will not accept late pre-lab sheets.
Homework Assignment - (All courses in Term 1)
A laboratory homework assignment will be available on the lab OWL site. Visit the lab OWL site for more information.
Laboratory course exemptions for upper-year students taking a first year physics course
If you have taken a first year physics course in a previous year, you may be eligible for laboratory exemption. Read the course outline posted on the lab OWL page for your course. To apply for lab exemption, follow the steps given on the lab OWL.
Please contact Dr. Kanthi Kaluarachchi, by e-mail: kanthi [at] uwo.ca Or Phone: 519-661-2111 Ext 86446.