These Supplemental Materials consist of several types of documents, as outlined below.
Before, during, and after the workshop, several of the participants provided written materials summarizing their recollections and/or providing historical information on a field, an institution, a person, etc. These include material prepared by Del Hansen, who was invited to attend the workshop but was unable to come.
The workshop was followed by a dinner at which additional reminiscences were exchanged. This led, in particular, to an exchange between Peter Forsyth and Colin Hines on the origins of the Alouette Satellite. At my request both of them have prepared a written account on the subject.
Links to these various documents are given in the bar at the left (or below).
In the course of preparations for the workshop, and in the course of its proceedings, a variety of published material has come to light which bears on the history of space science in Canada in one way or another. These references are given here in chronological order.
- W. Petrie
- Progress in Physics of the Upper Atmosphere, Physics in Canada, vol. 8, No 4, pp 5-17, 1953.
- F.T. Davies
- The International Geophysical Year, Physics in Canada, vol. 12, No 1, pp 5-12, 1956.
- B.W. Currie
- Space Research - The Canadian Background, Physics in Canada, vol. 16, No 2, pp 7-21, 1956.
- D.C. Rose
- Space Research - Internationally and in Canada, Physics in Canada, vol. 16, No 2, pp 22-27, 1956.
- P.A. Forsyth
- Space Research - What is it?, Physics in Canada, vol. 16, No 2, pp 5-6, 1960.
- P.A. Forsyth
- The Origins of Radio-Auroral Research in Canada, Physics in Canada, vol. 33, No 7, pp 91-94, 1977.
- R. E. Barrington
- Canadian Space Activities in the Past Quarter Century, Canadian Aeronautics and Space Journal, Vol. 25, No. 2, pp 153-169, 1979.
- N.C. Gerson
- Collaboration in Geophysics - Canada and the United States 1948-55, Physics in Canada, vol. 40, No 1, pp 3-8, 1984.
- Doris Jelly
- Canada: 25 Years in Space, National Museum of Science and Technology, 1988.
- C. O. Hines
- The Magnetosphere is Brought to Life, Discovery of the Magnetosphere, History of Geophysics, Volume 7, American Geophysical Union, 1997.
- R. W. Nicholls and D. J. W. Kendall
- Canadian Space Research: Past, Present and Future, Physics in Canada, vol. 57, No 5, pp 232-236, 2001.
- G.G. Shepherd and L.L. Cogger
- The Space Environment, Physics in Canada, vol. 57, No 5, pp 237-253, 2001.
- R. W. Nicholls
- In Memoriam, Nathaniel ("Nate") C. Gerson (1915-2002), Physics in Canada, vol. 58, No. 2, p. 43, 2002
- Boris Stoicheff
- Gerhard Herzberg, An Illustrious Life in Science, McGill Queens University Press, Montreal & Kingston, 2002.